I was making supper for the moms in my family and thought, too bad nobody thought about dessert. Then I thought, hey, wait a minute, I’m the one that’s cooking tonight!
Here’s my interpretation of this classic dessert:
Black Midnight Cake with White Mountain Frosting
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1 2/3 cups white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 1/4 cups sifted flour
- 2/3 cup cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup white corn syrup
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Beat the shortening & sugar together at medium speed for 4 minutes
- Combine the dry ingredients
- Lightly beat the eggs & vanilla
- Combine the dry ingredients, egg mixture & water with sugar/shortening and mix for 2 minutes
- Grease & flour a 13×9 cake pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
- Beat egg whites until stiff.
- Mix sugar, syrup and water together in a saucepan. Boil over medium high heat until temperature reaches 242 degrees F. Do not leave unattended; it will burn easily.
- With beater running, pour syrup into the eggs in a very thin stream. Don’t rush; beat it steadily to stiff, glossy peaks. Add vanilla.
Frost cake when cool.